We have wide experience of acting for insurance brokers, Independent Financial Advisers, actuaries and pension consultants and frequently handle claims referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
We bring a high level of technical understanding to these often complex claims but always seek to apply technical knowledge in a pragmatic manner. Our work in this area includes ‘pure' pensions litigation.
Recent examples of cases where we have acted for financial professionals include:
- Defending actuaries and consultants in Barber claims for the non-equalisation of pension ages
- Defending a claim in connection with a Bradstock compromise
- Negligent advice concerning the setting up and running of a SIPP, involving a large pension pot of several million pounds
- Numerous endowment mis-selling claims
- Advising on claims involving pension transfers, split capital investment trusts and equity release schemes
We also regularly advise insurers on coverage issues.
Recent instructions for pensions work include:
- Acting for the trustees of a pension scheme in applying for directions under the Part 8 procedure and arising out of Barber (The Toray Textiles litigation)
- Advising a participating employer in connection with the application of the S.75 debt on withdrawal in connection with a multi-employer pension scheme
- Acting for a senior executive on his FURBS (Funded Unapproved Retirement Benefits Scheme).