Construction and Engineering
We are described in Chambers UK as "a well-regarded construction team which wins compliments from across the market for its activities in this sector."
Our reputation is based on the industry knowledge and experience of our partners and solicitors who advise on projects ranging from major commercial construction and civil engineering schemes to residential developments.
We advise on all aspects of the construction process including:
- professional appointments;
- building and civil engineering contracts and sub-contracts for all types of procurement;
- collateral warranties;
- bonds and guarantees;
- environmental and pollution issues;
- health and safety;
- dispute avoidance and dispute resolution.
We advise some of the main professional bodies in the construction industry and our partners regularly contribute to Building and other specialist publications. One of our partners Rachel Barnes has drafted standard forms of appointment for the Association for Consultancy and Engineering and other professional bodies and written the second edition of the construction professionals guide 'Professional Services Agreements'.
We have handled well in excess of 100 adjudications for clients on construction disputes and can assemble experienced partner-led teams at short notice in order to comply with the demanding timescales imposed. Whether the mode of dispute resolution is adjudication, mediation, arbitration or litigation, we seek to understand our clients' objectives from the outset and strive to achieve commercially advantageous solutions.
Recent projects on which we have been instructed include:
- Major delay and disruption claim for a sub-contractor on Wembley Stadium involving both adjudications and litigation in the Technology and Construction Court;
- Adjudication of dispute in bridge project in Puerto Rico under FIDIC conditions;
- Adjudication and successful recovery of £2.4m professional fees due to consultant on UK PFI hospital project